We are officially in full swing of the summertime picnic season.
One of my all-time favorite summer treats is my Mom's recipe
for Napa cabbage salad.
I thought I would share it with you in case you are looking for a refreshing summer-inspired dinner.
Napa Cabbage Salad
Medium Napa cabbage
2 to 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
2 to 3 drops sesame oil
½ cup sesame seeds
½ cup slivered almonds
1 package Ramen noodles broken
½ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup vinegar
¼ cup sugar or sugar substitute
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1. Up to 6 hours ahead of time mix ingredients for the dressing over low heat to dissolve. Stir to incorporate. Place in a closed container in the refrigerator to cool.
2. Clean and chop the Napa cabbage and place in a large bowl. (Optional: refrigerate the bottom 2 inches of the cabbage for a garnish later.)
3. Pour the dressing over the cabbage, toss, cover and refrigerate.
4. Cut boneless skinless chicken breasts into strips.
5. Heat 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil in a skillet. Brown chicken then drain and set aside.
6. Heat 2 to 3 drops of sesame oil in a small skillet.
7. Brown the sesame seeds, almonds and noodles then drain on a paper towel. You can make toppings in quantity and freeze in a sealed container.
8. Add the chicken and the toppings to the salad, toss and serve.
Options: add peapods, pineapple, oranges or strawberries.
Keep the bottom portion of the cabbage as a garnish.
Rub a lemon over the cut surface to keep from turning brown.
Then slice a strawberry vertically being careful not to pierce
the top. Spread the segments of the strawberry
for a lovely finishing touch...
Tip: The salad is best when it has time to marinate in the dressing.
Up to 30 minutes is optimal. Plan ahead when preparing this dish!
I hope you are inspired to make a beautifully yummy summer salad.
I am the last person to say I follow a healthy diet...but with recipes like these I am willing to give it a chance!!!
A very special "thank-you" to my mom for teaching me how to cook.
We have shared a lot of laughs and love
in the kitchen over the years!
Happy Summer to you and yours...