pictures

              shop                               facebook                                blog

Monday, November 2, 2015

fresh flowers for fall

As many of you know, I spend a great deal of my time styling and shooting stories for various home décor and garden magazines. The rest of my professional time is spent in my retail shop. So to say I love to be surrounded by lovely things is no surprise. Well my home is no exception to this rule. One luxury that I enjoy most is indulging in fresh flowers.


I was recently asked to share a bit about how I use flowers to decorate my home by the creative folks at BloomNation. They are an online flower home delivery service. They also have an inspiring blog filled with wonderful posts!
 
 
When it comes to my home, sometimes I step out into the garden to gather fresh cuttings while other times I will pick up a few simple bundles at the grocery store or market.
My method of arranging flowers is the same no matter the source.
 
 
I don't follow any set of rules. I just surround myself with my favorite flowers all year long in colors that complement my home.
Then I will add natural seasonal touches like these beautiful
natural dried birdhouse gourds.

 
I will separate the stems by variety, clean the stems by removing extra leaves then trim the bottom at a sharp angle.

 
I will select vessels to hold the flowers that will best showcase the blossoms. White ironstone pitchers are always my go-to vase.

 
I cut the stems by length to match the height of the pitcher so the flower top is supported by the rim.
 
 
When I fill multiple vases with various bouquets,
I tend to cluster them together for the most visual impact.

 
To kick off November, I will create a fall décor
to fit my personal style.
 
 
Remember...no rules!

 
To get the longest lasting fresh flower arrangements
there are a few guidelines to follow:
 
1. Always use a clean container.
2. Cut stems at a 45 degree angle
to maximize the surface accepting water.
3. Mix 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of sugar
and 1/4 teaspoon of bleach in room temperature water.
 
 
4. Remove and cut the bottom of the stems
and make a new water mixture every 3-4 days.
5. Keep flowers cool and out of direct sunlight.

 
I hope you are inspired to surround yourself with fresh flowers!

 
Or maybe you would like to share a lovely bouquet
with someone special!
 
of incredible floral artistry...

 
Click the link below for more wonderful floral inspiration...
http://www.bloomnation.com/blog/
November is here and my home is filled with fresh flowers. I love to start this month that exudes autumnal inspiration off in style.
Thank you so much for visiting my blog.
 

1 comment :