pictures

              shop                               facebook                                blog

Friday, April 27, 2018

flea marketing...

I am daydreaming about all the fun times I have had flea marketing with my precious mom over the years. As soon as Spring arrived, we would grab our flea marketing bags and hit the road in search of treasures. Now that I live in southern Florida, flea market season is the exact opposite of fleaing in the North. Vendors show their wares all winter and pack up to hit the Northern summer circuit. I can't help but miss home when my mom tells me she is starting to see advertisements for outdoor flea markets in WV. I felt compelled to write a flea market inspired post.
 
 
From time well spent with my mom to experiencing the thrill of the hunt...I can't think of a better way to enjoy a beautiful day!

 
I always have an eye out for certain special finds...

 
And I try to look for things that can be upcycled or repurposed into things other than their intended use...

 
I love old jars. They are terrific for displaying shells, buttons and keys (and they are usually really inexpensive!).

 
I'm pretty sure I collect way too many things. I can find beauty in almost anything! I live by the motto "two of something is clutter but five or more is a collection!" The more the merrier!!!

 
My "hoard" was even featured in Romantic Homes magazine.
 
 
Here are my top 10 tips for a day of flea marketing...
1.DRESS FOR SUCCESS:
Dress for the weather and comfort. Pockets are a must! A hat and sunblock are very important too!!
2. MONEY MATTERS:
Take cash and make sure you have some change and small bills. Keep a small purse with a closure you can wear cross-body.
3. BAGGAGE IS A GOOD THING:
Take large bags with strong handles and/or a pull cart or wagon. Carrying all your treasures can be a challenge if you're not prepared.
4. SNACK PACKS:
Pack snacks and drinks. It's important to take breaks and stay hydrated. A small cooler in the car can be welcome on a hot sunny day.
5. HELPFUL NOTES:
Bring a camera and a small notepad. If a flea market is huge, it can be overwhelming. Especially if you see things you just have to have early in the day but you know you have a lot of ground yet to cover. If you don't take notes and pictures, you'll never remember where you saw that must have treasure you want to give a second look. It's always a gamble...the item could be long gone if you wait!
6. MAKE A LIST AND CHECK IT TWICE:
Take a list of items you are hunting. It's also a good idea to have prices in mind. When you see something you love, have a max price you are willing to pay. It's okay to bargain with a dealer but be prepared if they are not willing to negotiate. 
7. BE SMART:
Take a tape measurer (and any measurements you might need like the size of a wall for a piece of art) and a smart phone. Google can be your best friend when shopping. Compare prices and learn how to spot fakes. 
8. THE EARLY BIRD GETS THE WORM:
Arrive early! Park in a place close to an entrance or exit in case you want to make trips back to your car.
9. THE BUDDY SYSTEM:
Bring a friend. You can divide and conquer more area, it's more fun to shop with a friend and sometimes you just need a little feedback!
10. GET HOME SAFE:   
After a successful day of flea marketing it is important to pack the car with care. Have blankets or packing pads and twine or rope in the car to secure large items. Newspapers and other packing material will protect smaller treasures. Finally...get clean with sanitizing wipes.
I hope you are inspired to head out for a fun flea marketing adventure. I know I am! I just wish I lived closer to my mom...
 


8 comments :

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I consider flea marketing to be a sport! And I’m a pro. I used to go with my mom as well. Great memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about it that way but now that you mention it... It is a great workout. Maybe the only workout I would ever do. That made me laugh! I'm glad you have great memories. That's so important. Now go and kick some flea marketing butt!!!

      Delete
  4. I LOVE all the things you collect! The glass door knobs are so pretty and I like that you displayed them in a simple bowl. And the collection of misc. clocks looks so nice! I want to go flea marketing with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I appreciate it. Let's go flea marketing!!!

      Delete
  5. Melinda I used to visit your sweet shop in Wall St. I felt like I was in heaven! The greatest thing is that I still have the items that I purchased and still use them because your style is timeless! I really enjoyed talking to your Mom and the cat! Was that her cat or your’s? I can’t remember!

    ReplyDelete