pictures

              shop                               facebook                                blog

Wednesday, April 4, 2018

garden time

It's closing in on the best season...
gardening season!
I am so unbelievably fortunate to live in a place where I can garden all year long. But for those of you who suffered through a very long winter, I'm sure you are chomping at the bit to get in the dirt. I want to share a garden project that includes two of my favorite things: upcycled vintage treasures and succulents.
 
 
Most rusty chippy vessels hold one of two things in my home: seashells or plants. This old metal container reminded me of a mini window box so it was an easy decision to repair it and fill it with succulents.

 
I used E6000 to fix the broken seam. A clothes pin held it together as the glue dried. I also filled the bottom seam lines with the clear adhesive. Next I painted the container with matte spray paint. Once dry, I sanded the surface to distress the finish.

 
Use self-stick felt feet to protect table tops.

 
Place a layer of plastic along the bottom of the container (I cut a clear freezer bag slightly larger than the bottom so 1/2" would overlap the sides.) Then place a thin layer of clean small pebbles or gravel for proper drainage.

 
When planting succulents, mix clean sand or perlite into potting soil. You can buy cactus potting mix but it can be expensive and hard to find. The sandy soil works just as well! Succulents need to have a well draining soil so the roots do not rot.

 
I like to combine various colors, shapes and sizes of succulents. There are so many varieties available. I used cuttings from other containers to make this centerpiece.

 
Once all the plants are in place, I like to top off the soil with a thin layer of pea gravel. It helps hold new cuttings in place. Plus it looks pretty!

 
Place your container in a spot that will ensure success. Be aware of sunlight, shade and rain. Succulents can burn with too much mid-day sun and rot if too shady and damp.

 
With a bit of TLC your container will be very happy!

 
Even Peanut can appreciate a beautiful container.

 
I hope you are inspired to make a succulent garden for your home, garden or patio. They also make wonderful gifts for someone special. Thanks for visiting!
 

No comments :

Post a Comment