pictures

              shop                               facebook                                blog

Wednesday, June 6, 2018

the little plant that could

This post is going to tug at my heartstrings. I have never given up on a plant, especially one that has a family history. Although I do not know exactly how old this cactus is, the best guess is 35 to 40 years old. Many moons ago, a special lady and her mom and dad took a walk on Lido Key. They came upon a cactus and lovingly cut a small piece. It was planted in a pot and found its way onto the hot and sunny condo lanai. It was watered 3 to 4 times a year when people went to visit Florida, however it spent much time alone. All these years later, we inherited this sad little fella. We took him to Sanibel...
 
 
I studied a bit about cactus...since this is totally out of realm of gardening knowledge. I carefully cut the tops of the leaves and let them heal over... He looked like a sad old boy.

 
Within days he showed me that he was happy in his new surroundings...

 
...and the haircut was working!!!

 
Here he is...
Just two weeks of new growth!

 
I couldn't be more excited!
The moral of this story:
New give up on life, whether it's a plant, a relationship or your own life. Never give up. A little love and encouragement and life will blossom right before your eyes!
Posted with love,
 
 

2 comments :

  1. I want to try this! How often to you water and how much sun?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The key is very bright light but not necessarily direct sunlight. I let the plant dry out completely. Once the tops started showing new growth, I watered the soil well. Be sure the soil is a cactus mix that drains well. Then let it dry out again before watering. Wear gloves. Cactus needles hurt. I hope you have success!

      Delete