pictures

              shop                               facebook                                blog

Friday, February 24, 2012

no more secrets...

It has been so hard to keep my latest project a secret...but I guess I no longer need to keep it to myself. Take a peek at today's cover of the Islander newspaper...

* click on images to enlarge. Photos by Bill Schiller



Several months ago I was asked to make a garment for the 75th Shellabration on Sanibel Island. I was excited but a bit skeptical. After all, I am an interior designer not a fashion designer. However, my curiosity was at an all time high and I couldn't stop thinking about ideas. Visions of tulle, satin and my endless collection of seashells filled my every thought until...
okay okay I'll do it!!!

What kind of garment would a hopeless romantic...a shell connoisseur...a glue gun goddess...and lover of all things girly and white decide to make...? Not a stretch to guess...a wedding gown. I did dream big and was every bit up to the challenge. The dress is a modified mermaid style, constructed of vintage lace and yards of tulle and satin. It is encrusted with thousands of seashells and has a long embellished train. A tad compulsive I may be...but isn't that the cornerstone of any creative soul? 

Several months have passed and now I am within 3 days of the fashion show. Hurray!!! I am excited, tired and have lots of glue gun and sewing injuries to prove the sheer dedication I have given to this gown. I have also made junior bride's maid and flower girl dresses. More like a "shell-girl" not a flower girl since sea shells will be sprinkled down the runway.

I would like to give a very special thanks to the Sanibel Captiva Islander, the Island Reporter and to senior editor Bill Schiller, for the photographs and the awesome article. Please click on the link below for more information about Shellabration 2012 and all the other great stories in these terrific publications...


To say I am honored to be a part of this year's Shellabration is quite and understatement. It has been a long but wonderful couple of months and I am in the home stretch now. I cannot wait to post pictures after the show...stay tuned!



No comments :

Post a Comment