pictures

              shop                               facebook                                blog

Wednesday, October 3, 2018

dressing the bench

Although living in South Florida on the Gulf of Mexico means it's summer all year long. I have learned that southern gardening is the exact opposite of northern gardening. Summer is too hot for most plants and winter is the time to really develop my green thumb. I try to make early garden preparations which includes getting organized. First order of business is to spruce things up. My potting bench gets a new skirt every year.
 
 
My potting table is an old wooden base with a door as the top. I also have a piece of galvanized metal which makes for easy clean up. Just below the top I placed 2 metal screw hooks that hold a narrow curtain rod. Every year I will make a skirt with a rod pocket so I can easily change the look. Plus it's ready for a refresh after enduring the elements all year long.

 
I tend to use thrift store finds for my skirt. I look for outdoor table cloths or shower curtains because both are water safe and hold up longer. I will sew a rod pocket and hem. Easy as can be. I loved this tablecloth because it looks like burlap.


 
I also like to clean my terra cotta pots and garden tools. I don't scrub the moss off of the pots though, I love the patina.

 
The skirt makes things look tidy and I can hide a lot of junk under there!

 
All that's left to do is to play in the dirt and make pretty things.

 
My green thumb is ready. If it's months away from gardening season for you, try making some pretty succulent window sill containers or a terrarium. There's always a right time to garden!
 


2 comments :

  1. I just found your blog thanks to a Facebook friend. I love all of it but this post really touched my heart. I’m a country girl. I’ve always felt like country styles are not looked at as sophisticated. You have a country vibe to your style and now that I know that you’re from West Virginia I know why! You make everything look sophisticated but comfortable and welcoming. I’ve never commented on a blog before but I wanted to tell you how much I love your style. Thank you for giving country girls a good role model!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to start by saying I'm so sorry for the delay. It has been a year since I have visited my blog. Last year was very trying with my health and I have needed time to regain my strength. But I have been thinking about starting to blog again. So I logged on today and saw your note. I cannot put into words just how much it means to me. I have tears of gratitude right now. I feel a new sense motivation to begin my journey once again! Thank you from the bottom of my heart! I'm ready to get step back into my life and my lace up my creative shoes. Thank you sincerely. XOXO

    ReplyDelete