pictures

              shop                               facebook                                blog

Friday, January 19, 2018

brrrrr

Even though I live in a very sunny warm place, it's really cold here! I know it's all relative, but cold is cold. Okay 50 degrees isn't cold to a lot of folks, but I'm cold. No one would believe I spent my younger years in Canada and West Virginia! I guess I've become a cold weather wimp.
I am excited to finally need a sweater. It makes me think about an article I wrote some time ago about what to do with old sweaters. I had so many when I moved to Sanibel Island. I never wore them...so I chopped them up for projects. I've shared some of these ideas before, but this was on my mind so I thought I would share.
I took piles of my old sweaters and some knitting projects from my mom's stash and came up with a few easy ideas...
 
 
I saw some sweater pillows in a home décor shop and fell in love. But I didn't love the price. So I made some for pennies!
Simply cut out the shape and size of a throw pillow you wish to cover. Both sides can be sweater or one side sweater and the other can be a fabric remnant.

 
I took an old lampshade and stripped away the tattered covering. Then I wrapped a sweater around the wire form. Either sew the edges right sides together or use fabric or hot glue to make this a no-sew project. Don't forget to finish the raw edges by stitching the hem or glue along the edge and fold under.

 
Using a pile of old heavy socks (some are even wool), I made this fun winter wreath. Start with a foam wreath form. I covered the entire form with sections of the socks.

 
After I chopped up the sweaters for the pillows and the lampshade, I had the sleeves left over. So I pulled them up over plain glass vases. I have used these to display flowers. Another great use is to place a battery votive inside. It gives a warm winter glow.

 
If you love to sew, you can make these sweater purses...



 

On a personal note...
A few years ago when I went home to West Virginia, I photographed a farm. It is near and dear to my heart. The owners are like family. We met at church when I was still in high school. When I go home I love to drive out to Sugar Grove to see them. We ventured to the top of the farm so I could visit the final resting place of my sweet Mackenzie. She was my girl and a wonderful fur baby. I couldn't think of a better place to lay her to rest. As we rode up the hill on this particular day, we were followed by the sheep.
 

 
They had just been sheered...

 
In case you were wondering why I was sharing...
This visit was the inspiration for my sweater article!
Inspiration is all around us each and every day. Sometimes you just need to look for it!
Now I need to figure out how to stay warm. I chopped up all my sweaters!
 


2 comments :

  1. what clever ideas and again beautiful photos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cold day today. Inspired by looking at the beautiful sweaters in your blog.

    ReplyDelete