pictures

              shop                               facebook                                blog

Sunday, October 14, 2018

country roads

I have been sorting through some old photo files and reminiscing about some of my favorite magazine article assignments. (I shared the sweater ideas earlier this year.) I had traveled home one fall to West Virginia. I shot a feature and was able to get inspiration at my friends' beautiful working farm. Here are a few B-roll images I took just for fun and memories...
 
 
The farm is one of my favorite places on Earth. I grew up running around this awesome place. My dad was the minister at Sugar Grove Presbyterian Church right down the road from this very building. The main mode of transportation on the farm is a four wheeler...and that's how we got around the day of the shoot.

 
This special guy is Chauncy, he's like family to me and this is his farm. I rode in a wagon behind him and this was my view as we crossed the creek...

 
As I look at this picture, I have to believe John Denver was sitting here when he first sang Country Roads.

 
And the sheep were the entire reason for the shoot. I was writing an article about repurposing old sweaters... sheep, wool, sweaters! That's how my "sheep shoot" idea came to be.

 
There were so many beautiful things to shoot that day. The barbed wire "wreath" and wild flowers glistening in the sunlight, the weathered barnwood and the Dutch door with a rusty horseshoe. It's all perfection!  

 
Below is an image from the article...

 
See a few of the sweater upcycled projects? Hint: the pillow covers and purse.

 
This pretty girl was my muse and she didn't even make the editor's cut for the magazine. But I loved her so here she is!

 
Few things are as lovely (or should I say "wild and wonderful") as autumn in West Virginia.

 
If you've never seen the leaves turning colors in WV, put a visit on your bucket list. You won't be disappointed. Happy Fall Y'all!
 
 

1 comment :