pictures

              shop                               facebook                                blog

Friday, December 21, 2018

a stitch in time

I have loved quilts my entire life. The colors, the detail, the craftsmanship and the time worn texture. Quilts tell a story and document history. Each quilt is a treasure and a work of art. I have collected beautiful quilts for years, then I discovered a "new" classification of quilts known as cutter quilts. I saw a stack at a tag sale in WV many years ago. They cost next to nothing due to the horrible condition. The name, cutter, comes from the fact the only purpose for these damaged quilts is to cut them up for craft projects. I have piles of cutter quilts and I always have ideas for them, especially around the holidays.
 
 
I have made so many things out of my precious cutter quilts. Some have become gifts, some I have sold in my shops, many are proudly displayed in my home and others were featured in magazines. Here are a few of my Christmas favorites...
 
 
I make angels in several shapes and sizes. I keep the silhouette simple so the quilt can be appreciated. I don't hide the imperfections, I embrace them! The hair is fashioned out of yarn and the wings are doilies.

 
Santa is always a popular character.


 
And I have made many stockings...

 
...adorned with tiny Shiny Brites.

 
For those who believe antique quilts shouldn't be cut no matter the condition, all I can say is that giving old quilts new life allows them to be appreciated for years to come. Hopefully they will become tomorrow's heirlooms!
 


1 comment :

  1. Really love the bright colors. I wish Christmas would come soon

    ReplyDelete