pictures

              shop                               facebook                                blog

Monday, December 10, 2018

favorite things wreath

To make a "my favorite things wreath", I started with a simple artificial pine form on a wire base.
 
 
I used green florist wire to attach my items, like this precious gumdrop snowman, to the form.

 
I use wire instead of glue so I can take the wreath apart in the future and it won't damage the items.

 
Tea and demitasse cups are terrific for wreaths because it is easy to wire them to wreaths by the handles. 

 
I made tiny bird's nests out of strips of vintage floral fabric.

 
Vintage Shiny Brites always look terrific in wreaths!

 
And I love mixing unexpected items together, like miniature bottle brush trees, wooden spools of thread and buttons.

 
To attach handkerchiefs, gather the fabric in your hand, cinch with a rubber band and wire it onto the wreath form. 

 
Then I tucked in some colored pencils in coordinating colors.

 
The finished wreath is so pretty!

 
I mentioned in my last post that I was hesitant to make one of these wreaths for a magazine article. Just because I love them it doesn't mean that other people will. I was worried that it would be criticized for being silly or unsophisticated. But I pitched the idea to my editor and she gave me a chance. Little did I know that it would be one of my most popular articles! Readers even made "their favorite things wreaths" and sent pictures to the magazine. I received loads of emails too! Goes to show that it pays off to follow your heart...
 
 


2 comments :

  1. I would really like to try this. I’m glad you followed your heart and had this in a magazine. I want to make one. Have you made them for other holidays? Or just anytime? I have a lot of vintage Easter things, maybe I can make one for spring. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made them for other seasons but I think it's a fabulous idea!!! I hope you make one and I would love to see it. If you feel like sharing, send me a picture or find me on Facebook (www.facebook.com/surroundingsbymelinda) and post a picture. I can almost picture an Easter favorite things wreath with tiny vintage bunnies, fuzzy chicks, beautifully decorated eggs and lovely ephemera. I'm excited for the possibilities...

    ReplyDelete