pictures

              shop                               facebook                                blog

Friday, February 12, 2021

hand sewn hearts

 Although rainy days are a rare occurrence here, especially this time of year, I like to be stationed in my sewing room. It seems like the perfect reason not to be in my garden.

Right now my heart is thinking of love. So why not make some Valentine's Day vintage fabric hearts. Normally I make these hearts in all neutral colors and I sew on an antique key. I call these the "key to my heart" mini heart pillows.

But these are a little different. I've been saving this wonderful old cotton and linen table runner. Although there are stains, I loved the vibrant colors of the floral design. So I cut out as many hearts (roughly 6-8 inches each) as I could, trying to carefully avoid the stains. They are filled with batting and I added small pockets on each.


All of the pockets have a hand stitched message of love and include a small ephemera card so a personal message can be written inside.


No two hearts are the same because the way I cut the fabric from the table runner. And each little pocket is different as well.


The extra tiny pockets can also be used as tooth fairy pillows for wee ones. It's nice because the "fairy" doesn't have to fish the small tooth out from under the pillow of a sleeping child.


The slightly larger pockets can hold a letter, photo or gift card.



I had great fun creating these small puffed heart pillows.



If you are inclined to make handmade gifts for family and friends, this project is very simple. It's great for beginner seamstresses.

Nothing beats a handmade gift from the heart. After all, most of us are not out doing a lot of shopping right now.

I wish you...lovely projects for rainy days.

3 comments :

  1. What a clever idea.I especially like the pocket to hold a gift card. It has more character than the tins used to hold a gift card.

    ReplyDelete