pictures

              shop                               facebook                                blog

Friday, February 5, 2021

reinvented classic

 One of the best things in life is to sit down to a family dinner. Is it the conversation? The companionship? The shared memories? Or the foods that take us right back to our childhood?

My dad loves our family, our family gatherings, our memories and my mom's wonderful cooking. But since his stroke, he has really restricted his diet by cutting out the fat...and thus the flavor.

Well, I have made it my mission to reinvent some of our family's holiday dishes with low fat options. I started with holiday dishes because those are the meals we try to still gather together for (pre-pandemic that is).

With a little experimenting, I have created a candied yam casserole recipe that is all but fat free.


ingredients:

2 cans candied yams drained
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup skim milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt

toppings:

marshmallows
low fat cinnamon grahams
fat free butter spray

* preheat oven to 350 degrees
coat bottom and sides of an oven-proof baking dish with cooking spray


Drain and fork mash 1 can of the candied yams.
Add all of the remaining ingredients except for the  toppings (marshmallows and graham crackers).
Mix well.
Fold in the second can of drained candied yams.
Pour the mixture into your greased oven dish.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.


The casserole should be fairly well set.


Crumble low fat cinnamon grahams.
Add the quantity you wish depending on preference.
I place the grahams in a plastic baggie and crumble into crumbs with a marble rolling pin.

Cover the top of the casserole with marshmallows, graham cracker crumbs and spray the top with butter spray.


Place the casserole into the oven and broil
until the toppings are golden brown.
Watch closely as not to burn.


I don't think anyone will miss the fat!


This is a wonderful side companion with my low fat pork tenderloin. 

For the recipe...


Here are a few suggestions to modify the recipe:

add spices to the mixture that you enjoy such as cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger or cloves

add praline pecans to the topping.

I am still on my quest to modify some of our family favorite dishes. Do you have a favorite low fat dish? I am very open to suggestions!

Enjoy!

2 comments :

  1. looks good; reminds me of Thanksgiving. I love the marshmallows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks too good not to be dessert

    ReplyDelete