pictures

              shop                               facebook                                blog

Friday, August 7, 2020

aquarium upcycle

 Since my last post is fresh on my mind, I thought I would share an idea I wrote about some time ago for one of my favorite magazines.

aquarium upcycle

It's pretty easy to find an aquarium at a yard sale or junk shop. This is a quick, easy and inexpensive way to recycle an old tank into a creative and elegant terrarium.

You don't need much to get started.

fish tank

pebbles

decorative rock or shells

potting soil

plants

decorative tape and glass shelf optional


Test the tank to be sure the bottom holds water without leaking.
If it does leak, simply use a waterproof clear caulk in the seams and allow to dry.
Starting on the bottom: layer small clean pebbles then add sterile potting soil.
Next, arrange the plants you wish to use. Once placed, be sure the roots are all covered with soil.
Lastly, secure the soil and plants with a layer of decorative river stone and or sea shells. If using shells, clean them very well so no sea salt residue remains.


I used a decorative tape around the top edge to add a touch of elegance to the finished terrarium.


This type of terrarium makes a lovely centerpiece.


I placed a piece of glass shelving that I had in my craft stash so I could display things on top.


Select the type of plants depending on whether or not your piece will have a top or lid.

Open terrarium:
air plants, succulents or cactus

Closed terrarium:
any plant that likes a damp environment
ivy, fern and tropical plants

Next time you see a small aquarium on a curb or inexpensively at a yard sale, why not take a chance and create a beautiful terrarium.


No comments :

Post a Comment