pictures

              shop                               facebook                                blog

Monday, August 3, 2020

terrific terrariums

 Oh goodness is it hot in Florida. It's actually not too bad, it's been breezy but it is on the humid side. Although I'm still gardening daily, I either go out early or before sunset. So when I'm in search of fulfilling my green thumb projects, I stay inside and make terrariums.


I have a collection of apothecary jars that I use for all sorts of things. They make wonderful containers for terrariums.


I place a layer of clean, very fine gravel on the bottom and then a layer of well draining potting soil.


I tuck in tiny plants with small root systems. They need to like a very humid environment in order to survive. It helps to use a long skewer or chopstick to secure the roots and make sure they are covered with soil.


Then I carefully layer decorative stones and seashells to hold the roots and soil in place. Be certain that the shells are clean and free from any sea salt residue. Salt can be fatal to plants in an enclosed environment. 


I water using a mister. Then close the top and place in a bright room but not in direct sunlight.


Air plants and succulents will not work in enclosed terrariums. The air plants need daily air flow and good circulation. And succulents will rot in such damp growing conditions. Fern, ivy and pink splash will thrive! Just be sure to read the label of the plants you purchase.


I hope you will try to make a terrarium. It's so quick and easy. The end product is very elegant.

Happy indoor gardening...


No comments :

Post a Comment