pictures

              shop                               facebook                                blog

Tuesday, January 7, 2020

start with a leaf

I thought I would share one more tip
while I'm on the subject of succulents.
Propagation from a leaf.

 
If you were following along with the last post, you might have had a bit of collateral damage. Succulents are fragile and while handling them a leaf or two might fall off.
 
 
Each leaf can grow a new succulent!
Use the 3,2,1 soil mix.
Click HERE for the recipe.
Fill a terra cotta saucer with the soil mixture or you can purchase cactus soil mix.
 
 
Allow the leaf to dry for 2 to 5 days,
then lay the leaf directly on the dry soil.
 
 
Leave a small space between each leaf.
Set the saucer in a sunny spot and mist the soil with a spray bottle every other day.
You will need patience for the project.
It can take more than a month for a tiny plant to appear,
but it's so worth the wait!
 
 
Look how precious!
If you want to create living art
here is your chance to design a mandala.
A man~da~la is a geometric configuration representing the universe in Hindu and Buddhist symbolism.
It requires a number of various leaves and a lot of creativity.
 

 

You can actually create any design you wish!
Be patient and be prepared to replace a leaf here or there if one should shrivel or rot.
The end result can be spectacular!
Happy winter gardening...
Enjoy!
 
 

6 comments :

  1. love the mandala idea. I will save the leafs from now on. I'd like to try this one

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool! I'm totally going to start doing this... there's always a stray leaf around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how it turns out! It's good to hear from you. I appreciate you visiting my little blog!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Well I wish I could take the credit but I learned from the creativity of others. But I do like to share the ideas that work!!!

      Delete