pictures

              shop                               facebook                                blog

Friday, January 17, 2020

warm memories

It sure is cold in many parts of the country right now. I try to remember to have a grateful heart every day that I live on the Gulf Coast of Florida and winter is nothing like my memories winters in Canada or West Virginia! Winter is now a time for me to look forward to cold fronts because cold fronts bring in the seashells not the snowflakes!
*You will notice some descriptive words are bold, these are the items I used and links to where you can find them.

 
If you aren't lucky enough to be at a beach right now, let me ask...do you have a random bag or box of shells you brought home from a summer vacation?
I thought I would post some seashell inspired projects and crafts for you to try this weekend in case you are cooped up in the house! I have collected shells my entire life and here are a few of my latest seashell projects...
 
 
I found this little wooden shelf "ladder" at a yard sale for 50 cents! It was very country, it had a warm stain and a heart cutout at the top. I painted it white and covered the shelves and heart cutout with an old map. I glued on the map using Mod Podge and then gave it several protective coats. Once dry, I used E6000 to attach shells to each shelf. 
 
 
For the next simple project, I created a shadow box by painting a wooden wine crate white and distressing it with sand paper. Then I glued a map to the inside (I used the Mod Podge again). Once dry, I affixed random shells and found objects to the box using the E6000 once again.

 
This charming old bottle has a crack so I turned it to the back and secured it in place with glue. The sea glass color adds a different texture to the shadow box.

 
I pick up bits of everything special at the beach: from sea whips to urchins to driftwood. You can add picture wire and hangers to the back to hang on a wall or simply display your shadow box on a shelf.

 
I love to make wreaths! So adding shells to a wreath seems like a natural fit. The base is a huck wreath I make by wiring twigs, wheat and millet to a wire wreath base.

 
Then I use my high temperature hot glue to add a thick border of shells, sand dollars, starfish and sea urchins around the center opening. Then I added some bits of natural green reindeer moss and tiny white silk flowers to add a natural soft touch to the finished wreath. This type of wreath needs to be kept indoors and out of direct sunlight. It could fade over time.

 
For a super cute and really easy project, paint an inexpensive lamp a fresh beach color using spray paint. Once dry, attach a beautiful shell and/or starfish to the lamp base. E6000 is the best adhesive for this project too. You could use hot glue, however, the shells could pop off over time.

 
I bought this lamp at a second hand shop. I sprayed it with Krylon Catalina Mist. Once dry, I dry brushed Kliz Dark Wax over the base and let dry. Finally, I attached a shell and starfish with E6000.

 
The next project is shell inspired. I painted and covered the seat of a garage sale chair (only $5).
First step is to remove the seat. Next, spray paint the entire chair with Rust-Oleum Vintage Teal satin paint.

 
Once dry, I sanded it lightly all over. Then I sprayed the entire chair with a light coat of matte white paint. I've used every brand and I like them all! Once this coat dried, I sanded the entire chair again allowing some blue to come through. Then I dry brushed some Waverly Celery matte chalk paint randomly in patches all over the chair. After everything was dry, I heavily sanded the natural wear spots like the corners and edges. I covered the seat with Waverly Coral Shell Spa fabric.

 
Whether you live near the beach or in the cold North, dig out some seashells and create something! Savor the memories from vacations past. It will warm your heart and remind you
of summer breezes under the sun.
Enjoy!
 


12 comments :

  1. I love every visit I have ever had at the shore. I've brought home tons of shells. I want to try a couple of these projects. Winters are long in northern PA. Thanks for sharing your ideas and pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to share any pictures of your crafts...or your ideas! Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  2. I have lots of shells too, but I would have never thought of using them like you did. Love the ideas. Your biggest fan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we all need a little inspiration to start crafting. Now get out your glue gun!

      Delete
  3. I have more shells than I will ever need, but is always so much fun collecting new ones. And that wreath is absolutely stunning, just like eveything tou create.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite a sheller! I've seen some of your Sanibel and Captiva hauls. And I don't think I know anyone more creative than you!

      Delete
  4. Melinda, you inspire me. I'm taking out my Nikon and photographing beauty wherever I see it.
    I love shells and have so many of them. I am going to try your shell wreath project. Thank you for showing the warm beauty of these projects to a former California girl who now lives in NYC. Looking to make the move to the Florida Gulf Coast within a year. Kristen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all the kind words! Moving to Florida will be a wonderful place for you to shell and to practice your photography! Thanks for visiting my blog!!!

      Delete
  5. I just found your blog and I am living for this post! I love shells so much. I can't wait to be inspired by all of your beautiful ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad you found me! I hope you will continue to visit from time to time!

      Delete