pictures

              shop                               facebook                                blog

Monday, January 18, 2021

kokedama

 As it is no surprise, I adore all things gardening. And living in Florida, I have learned so much about southern gardening. I have also learned to love orchids!

Part of this love affair has included my introduction to kokedama. Which is a Japanese style of gardening. It means "moss ball gardening".

I would like to share with you how I make my kokedamas...


What you will need...

orchid

sheet moss

orchid potting mix

fishing line

scissors

My tip is to purchase orchids that have already bloomed and been placed on clearance. I buy mine at Lowes, Home Depot and Walmart. They are a fraction of the cost!


Gently remove the orchid from the container making sure not to damage the delicate roots.


Lay a sheet of moss with the moss side down. Then place a thin layer of orchid mix in the center of the sheet.


Now place the root ball of the orchid on the soil. Position it like the above photo.


I carefully wrap the moss around the root ball, adding soil mix as I go. Once the ball is completely covered with soil and moss, I use the fishing line to secure the moss.


The last step is to leave enough excess fishing line to create a hanger with a loop at the end.


It is a fairly simple way to display and grow orchids. I will hang them under the grape arbor so they are protected from winds and summer storms and they only get dappled sunlight which makes them really thrive.

Stay tuned and I will share these little beauties blooming in my garden.

No comments :

Post a Comment