pictures

              shop                               facebook                                blog

Tuesday, January 12, 2021

searching...

 Start every day with a grateful heart.

It's wonderful advice to begin each day with a grateful heart. I try to start each day by speaking with God. It's never a well thought out prayer, it is more like an honest conversation. If I begin by thanking our heavenly Father for the blessings in my heart, it does lift my spirits.

However, not long after my morning prayers I still find myself in search of inspiration. I'm not depressed but I don't feel as inspired as I have at other points in my life.

One source of inspiration comes from old books and magazines...


...but the pages don't seem to hold the key right now.

So more often than not, I put on some grubby clothes and my apron and head out to the garden. There are no lack of projects that I can get into on this property. Lately I've been cleaning the grape arbor area at the end of the flower gardens. The home was built about 100 years ago and by the look of the "trunk" of the old grapevine, I would bet this is a part of the original grounds. 

With rake and trowel in hand I'm ready to dig in.

As I lose track of time in the garden, I find my mind drifts away from of the problems of the world.


Before I know it I'm dreaming of fairies...


...and settling for butterflies.


As the sun begins to set, my spirits are soaring and I feel the kind of ache that comes with a day's hard work.


The world can be an ugly place right now when we focus on the negativity around us. Blocking out the news and focusing on the blessings around me brings peace to my worried mind.

My garden heals my mind and time with the Lord heals my heart and soul. Do you have something in your day-to-day life that lifts your spirits? Is it reading, crafting, baking, friends?

Although we are all different, one thing that hopefully ties us together is our need for a peaceful mind.

Here's to finding inner peace...

and in my case,

a little dirt under my nails.

4 comments :

  1. I appreciate the message. It’s an important reminder to always be grateful and the best way to start the day. I always enjoy your blogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you!!! I learned from wonderful parents. XO

      Delete
  2. I love this so very much Melinda!!! We all have our touchstones and gardening sounds like a wonderful one. I've been searching for inspiration to create but my mind has been clouded with negativity and and worry after this past year. Where I currently live my studio is up a steep flight of stairs. It seems those stairs have kept me away. At 59 years old my hips and knees are tired. We have an offer on a new home and my studio will be much easier to access. Praying for it all to come to fruition and for my new studio to be my touchstone!!! xoxoxo, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Dawn, thank you so much! You are such an inspiration to me. This past year has been so hard on so many people for a variety of reasons. With all of the negativity surrounding us, it has been hard to find creativity and beauty. I can totally understand that stairs can be the enemy. Our new (old) home has a single floor main living space and it has made a huge difference in my life. I will keep you and your quest for the ideal home in my prayers. I truly hope it does come to fruition.

      Delete