pictures

              shop                               facebook                                blog

Saturday, April 25, 2020

quilt project

Well it's official.
I am obsessed with quilts.
 

Oddly enough, I tend to gravitate towards them in the spring. Probably because the ones I collect are fresh, cheerful springy colors.
 
Of course I love the pristine ones, but I also love the overly cherished and snuggled ones too. Those are referred to as "cutter quilts" because you can cut away the good sections and use them for projects.
 
One of my all time favorite cutter quilt project was upholstering my vintage recliner.
 
 
I found it when I was a new college graduate and had just opened my first shop. I was leaving my shop for the day and I spotted it in a dumpster.
 
It was red velvet and tragic.
 
I recovered it in a neutral fabric years ago until it became tragic once again. So when it was time to recover it, I dug into my collection of cutter quilts!
 
 
The chair is a remarkable design for an antique recliner. The body lifts out of the frame. When it is in the frame, there is a bar in the back with notches that allow you to recline in 3 different settings. (Much like a beach lounger!)

 
I used the main part of this lovely old quilt to cover the front of the chair. I didn't have enough for the back so I covered it with an old white Swiss dot baby blanket.
 
 
I painted the frame a soft matte white and slightly distressed it to give it a subtle aged patina.

 
Lastly, I used a new trimmings to hide the staples and give the chair a beautiful finished look.
 
 
I took to my sewing machine to make a few pillows.
 
 
Now she has an entirely new look
thanks to my stash of cutter quilts!

 
I am such a hoarder when it comes to
collecting old notions.
 
 
Sometimes I just bundle small quilt scraps with elegant ribbons and use them in place of pillows.
 
 
Somehow I find a use for all of my collections.
Are you the same way...?
 
I'm odd but I'm good with that!
I hope you are all doing well while sheltering in place.
 
This too shall pass...
 



2 comments :

  1. Beautiful quilts. I love how you transformed the chair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your talents always seem to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete